[Mailman-Users] I have a hoster that I would like to use mailman with

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Nov 4 18:59:14 CET 2002

If the sysadmin is willing to help you then there is no reason for it
not to work.

You'll need their help for three things:
 - Have them setup a user and group both named mailman.  Then you can
login as the user mailman and do the install.
 - Setup the cgi aliases in Apache's config file for /mailman and
/pipermail
 - Setup a secondary system mail "aliases" file that user mailman has
rights to modify.

Now whenever you login as the user mailman, you can create/modify/delete
mailing lists on the server.

Note: you can do the install using your own userid/group by setting
those switches during the ./configure step of the installation. I don't
recommend this though, and it will all work out nicer if the sysadmin
agrees to a second user named mailman.

Note2: you might also need sysadmin help in determining what GID your
server's MTA uses, and what GID your server's web server uses.  You
might also need the sysadmin to allow Mailman's wrapper program to be
run by the MTA (if they use smrsh or some other limiting application).

Good Luck!