[Mailman-Users] archive search

Dennis Black dennis.black at ualberta.ca
Thu May 30 19:30:39 CEST 2002

For those Mailman site admins who want archive searches
without the hassle of HtDig install and overhead, a week's
worth of hacking (actually not many changes) has provided
my site with archive searches. I throw this to the list
for critique and comment.

Mailman 2.0.9 running since May 3
Apache 1.3.22-1
Postfix 1.1.7
Perlfect Search 3.0.3 http://perlfect.com/freescripts/search/
	(a couple of pl scripts)

I wanted the search button to appear on the list's index.html
page, where the archives-by-month are listed, and since
HyperArch.py rewrites a list's index.html each time a message
goes to the list, (it updates the archive size) I had to...

edit
/home/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py
starting at line 545, add the form

arch_listing_end = '''\

  <HR>
  <form method="get" action="/search/search.pl">
  <input type="hidden" name="p" value="1">
  <input type="hidden" name="lang" value="en">
  <input type="hidden" name="penalty" value="0">
  <input type="hidden" name="include" value="'%s' % (listname)">
  <input type="hidden" name="exclude" value=".*\.txt">
  <select name="mode">
          <option value="all">Match ALL words</option>
          <option value="any">Match ANY word</option>
  </select>
  <input type="text" name="q"><input type="submit" value="Search">
  </form>
'''

add to mailman's crontab:
# Do indexing at a little after midnight
24 0 * * * perl /home/mailman/cgi-bin/perlfect/search/indexer.pl

add to apache's httpd.conf:

    ScriptAlias /search/ "/home/mailman/cgi-bin/perlfect/search/"

    <Directory "/home/mailman/cgi-bin/perlfect/search/">
        AllowOverride None
        Options ExecCGI Indexes FollowSymlinks MultiViews
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

test drive:
http://www.mailman.srv.ualberta.ca/pipermail/test5/

I do have a slight date problem. Hopefully someone's been
through the same. On the month archive, the "Ending" date
and "Last message date" are 20 hours into the future. In
both cases it's from HyperArch.py's %(lastdate)s value.
I'm 7h from GMT, so even if my system date is wrong, where
could I be gaining the extra 13? 'date' at system prompt
returns the correct time. Is it Mailman or me?
Dennis.Black at UAlberta.Ca
Computing and Network Systems
Internet Applications
352 General Services Bldg.