[Mailman-Users] New to Mailman -- Dropped messages to list owner's own email

Scott Courtney courtney at 4th.com
Thu May 30 03:42:13 CEST 2002

Good evening, all, or good morning to those in distant time zones!

I've been using Mailman for just shy of a week, with generally good results,
but have run into a very strange problem as my configuration complexity has
grown. I've been to the FAQ, the online docs, and numerous Google searches of
the list archives, to no avail. I'm sure someone has seen this before, and
I'm hoping you can help.

The configuration is this: I am on a Linux server where I have root privileges
but do not own the server. Because of this, I try to keep as many of my
configurations as possible confined to my regular login, so as not to disrupt
the rest of the functions of this machine.

I have Mailman 2.1b2 (beta) installed in ~/mailman. By the way, I tried the
stable version first and encountered this same (exactly!) problem, and went to
the beta in hopes that it would be fixed -- so I don't think it's a beta bug.

I own two domains and want to share one instance of Mailman between them. Call
the domains d1.com and d2.net. Neither of these domains is the official
domain in which the server lives. I read the docs on how to do this, got
Mailman set up, and everything is working perfectly with the exception of the
one issue. All through-the-web interfaces are working flawlessly, including
the archives.

Now, to avoid an intrusive bunch of changes to /etc/mail/virtusertable and
/etc/aliases, I am setting up Mailman to use procmail for local routing within
my own login. Here is the setup:

/etc/mail/virtusertable:

@d1.com		local:mylogin
@d2.net		local:mylogin
myotherlogin at d1.com	local:mylogin

In ~/.procmailrc:

LOGFILE=/home/mylogin/Procmail/log

:0:
* ^TO_\/(mylogin|myotherlogin)@d1.com
$DEFAULT
:0fw
* ^TO_staff at d2.net
|/home/mylogin/mailman/mail/mailman post staff
:0fw
* ^TO_staff-\/(owner|admin|bounces....and so on...|subscribe)@d2.net
|M=`echo $MATCH | sed -e 's/@d2.net//'` && /home/mylogin/mailman/mail/mailman $M staff

Now, EVERYTHING is working great -- users can subscribe, post messages, list
owner features and user features from web work fine. All messages go to the
archives, just like clockwork. Everything works -- except that *I* get no mail
from the list!

I have tried sending mail to the list from several subscribed addresses, and it
all goes through and posts to everyone but my two main addresses. Oddly enough,
all regular inbound mail is caught by the first procmail rule and stays in my
$DEFAULT folder as intended. I have verified this by temporarily putting another
folder name in there.

No errors in any of the SMTP logs, Mailman logs, or procmail logs. The procmail
log shows a one-byte message being posted to my /var/spool/mail/mylogin mailbox.
That's the only anomaly.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Scott

--
Scott Courtney         | "I don't mind Microsoft making money. I mind them