[Mailman-Users] mailman-2.1b2 / linux install problem

Merton Campbell Crockett mcc at TO.GD-ES.COM
Mon May 27 21:02:02 CEST 2002

On Sat, 25 May 2002, Emmanuel Viennet wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I find mailman-2.1b2 quite difficult to install on a
> linux redhat 7.2 system (problems with file permissions).
>
> BUT, when I try to create a list through the web, I get:
> Bug in Mailman version 2.1b2
>
> We're sorry, we hit a bug!
>
> RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases (status: 1, Operation not permitted)
>
> After some investigations, I noticed that Postfix.py (and thus postalias)
> is running with UID=apache, GID=mailman, groups=[apache]
>

> Can someone help me ?

I am evaluating Mailman as an alternative to Majordomo which I have been
using for years.  I just installed Mailman yesterday.  The "We're sorry, we
hit a bug!" results from ~mailman/cgi-bin not having the correct UID.  The
"cheap" fix is to use chown to set the owner to that used by Apache.

	chown -R www:mailman cgi-bin

Assuming that Apache is running as "www" the above will correct the problem.

Merton Campbell Crockett

--
BEGIN:				vcard
VERSION:			3.0