[Mailman-Users] Filtering spam with Spamassassin / Procmail and Mailman...

Phydeaux reb at taco.com
Sat May 25 05:53:52 CEST 2002

Hi!

I'm currently using spamassassin to filter mail coming into my lists. I use
sendmail with procmail as the local delivery agent. However, since mail
sent to a program is not delivered by the local delivery agent I needed to
use a mail alias like this to have the processing done:

list:   "|/usr/local/bin/spamc -f | /home/mailman/mail/wrapper post list"

In addition to the above, I added "X-Spam-Status: Yes" to the "hold
posts with header matching" field.

This works fine and so far zero spam has made it onto my mailing
lists. Unfortunately, however, I am now trapping up to 15 messages
per day per list. I have to manually remove each piece of detritus
via the administrative interface.

So, I thought I'd set some of my list aliases to send mail to the
mailman user which would be locally delivered and sent to the
mailman .procmailrc which could read the headers and make the
appropriate mailman wrapper call. This would have the mail pass
through the system-wide /etc/procmailrc file which traps the crud
without any human intervention.

Unfortunately, however, I can't get this to work. First, procmail
complains because the mailman directory is group writable. I was
not sure whether changing this would cause a problem for mailman
so I changed it in a test install and continued. Now I have a problem
that the ID of the mail delivery agent doesn't match the id of
mailman so the wrapper won't run.

If I recompile mailman to use the id of mailman for mail instead of
the system-wide mail delivery agent I think I'll have problems.
Does anyone care to comment on this? Is there an easier way?
Am I missing something obvious?

Comments and suggestions appreciated!

reb