Patch to suppress List-* headers on a per-list basis (was Re: [Mailman-Users] Help )

Bob Weissman rlw at rlw.best.vwh.net
Tue May 14 16:49:01 CEST 2002

At 12:08 AM 5/14/02, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> There should be options in the admin interface to handle all of this.
>
>Thankyou for your excellent analysis.  When can we expect your patch to
>add these features?
>
>> The 'fix' you offer me for this question is not a fix at all.
>
>Ahh.  When can we expect your patch to do it properly?

I have a patch for 2.0.10 which allows list owners to set, on a per-list basis, whether the List-* headers are added to each posting. I need this for the same reason as the Aerosmith guy, namely because I have several outgoing-only "newsletter" lists which I don't want users trying to self-administer.

(It took me all of a half hour to figure out how to write this patch, by the way, and I didn't even know Python when I started. I congratulate the Mailman authors on making the software flexible enough to add a new attribute to mlists, generate the adin GUI for same automagically, and make retrofitting existing lists a simple matter of using withlist.)

Anyway, the FAQ says this particular modification is frowned upon, so I didn't submit it. If people want it, I can package it up and document it. I imagine that others have also implemented this, as it's a pretty obvious change to CookHeaders.py and MailList.py. Should I submit mine? If so, where should I send it?

- Bob