[Mailman-Users] Mailman in OS X

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Wed May 15 07:13:16 CEST 2002

I have tried to install mailman on my OS X machine (10.1.4) with Python 2.
2.  Everything seems to install just fine (no errors) after.

I was even able o create a test list per the docs and got an email in the
right place telling me of the list.

Trouble is, I cannot access the web interface.  I assume this has to do
with errors in the httpd.conf file.

I setup a VirtualHost directive to point to, I thought, the mailman
directory, following the instructions in the INSTALL document:

<VirtualHost *>
   ServerName mailman.my-dynamic-host.tld
   Documentroot /Users/mailman/
   ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/Users/mailman/cgi-bin/"
   alias /pipermail/ /Users/mailman/Sites/archives/public/
</Virtualhost>

(other virtual hosts on my machine all work, including my webmail VH for my
squirrelmail install, so that is not the problem).

The user and group are setup to run as nobody, same as httpd

I did not set $varprefix, so both $varprefix and $prefix should be /Users/
mailman/

The set-gid instructions seems to say that for BSD (would include OSX) the
g+2 setting is not necessary.  However, it did install without using the
make command in README.BSD.

bin/check_perms fails with the following error:

% bin/check_perms
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "bin/check_perms", line 281, in ?
     checkmail()
   File "bin/check_perms", line 202, in checkmail
     mode = statmode(wrapper)
   File "bin/check_perms", line 74, in statmode
     return os.stat(path)[ST_MODE]
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/Users/mailman/mail/wrapper'

Also, the ~prefix/cgi-bin/ directory is empty.

This is the stable build of mailman-2.0.10.

I tried enabling all options with a .htaccess file, but that merely let me
load the ~mailman/Sites directory.

I built with:

% ./configure --prefix=/Users/mailman --with-cgi-gid=nobody
% make install

as I said, no errors.

--
You are responsible for your rose.