[Mailman-Users] The moderation/SPAM queue

Eric A. Meyer eric at meyerweb.com
Tue May 14 15:42:09 CEST 2002

At 8:32 -0400 5/14/02, Robert Wilson wrote:
>I wonder if having an option to bounce the message with an error that
>looks like the address is invalid when the sender isn't subscribed to
>the list would help with spam attempts.

    Hmmm, perhaps-- although my fear would be that the spambots would
get rewritten to catch such pseudo-error bounce messages and then
harvest them.  That might be a bit paranoid on my part.  I have a
situation where, having a list with 1800+ subscribed addresses, I see
mostly spam but occasionally somebody who accidentally posts from the
wrong address.  So I'd like to be able to review the messages that
get caught and deal with them myself.
    The problem I face is that the Web interface, in providing a
commendable amount of information about each blocked message, makes
it a lot harder to quickly clear out the spam in order to concentrate
on the list-member messages that got stopped for some reason.
(Another one I see relatively often is HTML-formatted messages, which
I don't allow on the list.)  So I'd been thinking that having a
"collapsed" view would help with that.  On the other hand, if 2.1
will offer options to default non-subscriber messages to "discard,"
as a recent message implied 2.1 would, or even just drop them
silently without ever telling me, that might be better.

--
Eric A. Meyer (eric at meyerweb.com) http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/
Author, "Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide" and