[Mailman-Users] newbie installation

David Burrows david at pnwer.org
Tue May 7 16:54:19 CEST 2002

I am using R/Hat 7.2 and Mailman 2 -  I cannot seem to get the proper
configuration.  I got the confirmation email when I first installed.  I have
since uninstalled and re-installed several times, but don't even get a
confirmation for 'test'.

A few other questions:
Are the mailman directory/files supposed to be  user: 'root'  group:
'mailman'?

Do I need to put FollowSymLinks scripts in the httpd.conf file or does the
R/Hat RPM distro do that?

Finally, I am getting the following email in my root mailbox:"....
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/var/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 222, in ?
    main()
  File "/var/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 198, in main
    lock.lock(timeout=0.5)
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 219, in lock
    self.__write()
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 350, in __write
    fp = open(self.__tmpfname, 'w')
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/var/mailman/locks/gate_news.lock.davestek.com.9537'
*********
Any help will be so much appreciated. I've been on this for 3 days running.
David Burrows  Email: david at pnwer.org