[Mailman-Users] Sendmail Performance with mailman

Graham TerMarsch graham at howlingfrog.com
Fri May 3 22:26:51 CEST 2002

On May 3, 2002 12:18 pm, Bueschel, Eric W RWBAHC DIN-PACS wrote:
> As of today, I am no longer getting failures in the smtp-error logs,
> however it seems that incoming messages are parsed to mailman, then
> queued for 10 to 40 minutes where they just wait.  No errors, no
> timeouts, they just wait. Here is a sample from the sendmail output:
[.....snip.....]

From having used Mailman+Sendmail together for quite some time, I'd wager a
guess that the behaviour that you're seeing is related to the way that
you've got Sendmail configured.

If you're using "-ODeliveryMode=defer", then what you're telling Sendmail
is to just queue the message up for later delivery and _NOT_ to attempt to
send it right now.  When Sendmail comes along later and does a queue run,
it'll find the msg, and whisk it off on its way.  When you're using the
box as a relay or for local mail, you're not connecting to it on port
1313, so its not using the "deferred" delivery mode.

Feel free to reply off-list if you'd like to go into greater detail on
this.  I know that Chuq here has used Sendmail for some time now, and I
used it for a list I work with up to ~250k subscribers.  At that point we
switched the machine over to Postfix as I couldn't get Sendmail to send
the msgs out fast enough, even with all the tunes and tweaks that we had
in place.  Not to say that Sendmail can't handle that kind of load, it
just couldn't handle it on the hardware that we had available at that
time; on the same hardware Postfix gave us better performance for our
lists.

Don't take me wrong, though, I do like Sendmail, and have used it for many
years quite successfully; for _really_large_ lists, though, I found it
easier to tune things with Postfix.  If you'd like extra assistance in
getting your Sendmail install tuned properly for your list, do feel free
to drop me a note off-list and I'd be happy to help out.

--
Graham TerMarsch
Howling Frog Internet Development, Inc.   http://www.howlingfrog.com