[Mailman-Users] file deposit for attachments

Charles Sebold sebold at lcms.org
Thu May 2 21:42:32 CEST 2002

On 20 Iyyar 5762, Nicolas Bock wrote:

> I just started using mailman for a mailing list (for what else :) and
> was wondering about the following: When somebody posts an email with
> some file as an attachment, let's say for example a word document,
> then the email gets archived with the attachment encoded in some sort
> of uuencode format. Can I tell mailman to dump this attachment into
> some file depository and leave it the way it is instead? It otherwise
> seems a little bit difficult to retrieve those encoded attachments
> from the archive at some later date.

Actually, pipermail _is_ leaving it the way it is.  Email clients
generally encode attachments in some form, UU or base64 or some-such,
making them MIME attachments, before sending.  Pipermail doesn't know
MIME and just dumps everything as if it were raw text.

Check the FAQ for solutions:

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.003.htp
--
Charles Sebold                                       20th of Iyyar, 5762
LCMS - Office of Information Systems                http://unix.ois.org/