[Mailman-Users] Mailman FAQ Wizard

Greg Long mailmanlist at maneuveringspeed.com
Wed May 1 07:24:24 CEST 2002

That would be awesome to have a FAQ and a HOW-TO - even for basic stuff.
Without formal training and working with it a lot installing and
configuring 'nix software is anything but straightforward, though I will
say I really like the mailman software.

I created klug again, and the cgi pages look fine from a browser, with
all the right goodies for the domain and email addresses - with the
exception that the mail isn't going through - I get "unknown user"
error.  Was I to create an account?

because there IS no account created with the ./newlist script, I wonder
if the following section of the FAQ is applicable:
-------------------------
Q. What if I get "document contains no data" from the web server, or
mail isn't getting delivered, or I see "Premature end of script headers"
or "Mailman CGI error!!!"
A. The most likely cause of this is that the GID that is compiled into
the C wrappers does not match the GID that your Web server invokes CGI
scripts with. Note that a similar error could occur if your mail system
invokes filter programs under a GID that does not match the one compiled
into the C mail wrapper.

To fix this you will need to re-configure Mailman using the
--with-cgi-gid and --with-mail-gid options. See the INSTALL file for
details.
if so, I don't know how to determin the CGI GID and MAIL GID other than
to look in the User manager for those groups.  A look just now shows no
group by the name of "cgi" and the group "mail" with one member: "mail".
There is probably a command-line option to show the GID for a group, but
the info is not displayed in the Gnome User manager.

I suppose you all would just laugh at me if I suggested a
straightforward GUI installer and manager that would run in Gnome/KDE.

Thanks for the help, I'm close...