[Mailman-Users] List features and wish list

Jim McNelly jim at composter.com
Tue Mar 26 20:42:25 CET 2002

Greetings,

This is a list moderator of the US Composting Council Discussion list (650
members) here with some suggestions and comments.

I would like the ability to have the bozo bucket of restricted posters to
be sent something other than the fearsome and insulting "forbidden sender"
message.

This would be to run a list where the bozo bucket is large and the approved
posters is small, but not fully moderated-for-approval.  The message should
be able to state "held for moderator approval".

If I switch over to a moderator approval mode and put a large number of
users into the approved status, what message will go out to the poster?  I
hope not the "forbidden sender" message.  Are there limits to the number of
names in the various columns?

I would like to be able to capture the directory of members all at once in
a single database rather than having to cut and paste, screen by screen.

How about adding the ability to filter out "out of office" and other
autoreplies in the administrivia section, or for that matter, making the
criteria manageable by the moderator.  I would also like to kill certain
threads in the header that are off topic.

How about an easy banner menu for putting in HTML into sponsor footers?

I would like to make the archive a subscriber access page.  I would also
like to add advertising on the archive page.  How do I set up a password or
approved e-mail system for accessing the archive?  How about making the
entire archive searchable, not just the month that is grouped?  Do I have
to turn the archive into one large database to make it searchable?

I pay my ISP to host Mailman.  How do you guys make any money doing this?

That's it for the moment.

Thanks

Jim McNelly
List Manager