[Mailman-Users] Thanks and GID error...

Jon Carnes jonc at haht.com
Tue Mar 26 19:09:21 CET 2002

This is definitely in the FAQ (see the bottom of the email message).

You don't need to un-install, but you do need to re-install.  Take a look at
what is running as your MTA (sendmail, postfix, exim, qmail, etc...) and
figure out what Group it runs as.  If you are using Sendmail, you can:
  grep DefaultUser /etc/sendmail.cf

The response will be something like "O DefaultUser=8:12".  The first number
is the userID and the second number is the groupID that sendmail runs as.
So you would configure mailman using "--with-mail-gid=12"

Your error message indicates that your MTA is trying to run as groupID 1
GID = 1 is normally something like "bin", which IMHO is not a good thing...
and definitely not something that Sendmail does.