[Mailman-Users] Error message explained?

Ryan Hagan ryan at pacificommultimedia.com
Tue Mar 26 15:25:31 CET 2002

Greetings,

I've been seeing this message pop up on occasion and was wondering if
someone could help me decipher it:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailCommandHandler.py", line 223, in
ParseMailCommands
         self.__dispatch[cmd](args, line, msg)
File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailCommandHandler.py", line 399, in ProcessSetCmd
         self.SetUserOption(sender, option_info[args[0]], value)
File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 206, in SetUserOption
         user = self.GetUserCanonicalAddress(user)
File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 174, in GetUserCanonicalAddress
         cpuser = self.GetUserSubscribedAddress(member)
File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 159, in
GetUserSubscribedAddress
         member = string.lower(member)
File "/usr/lib/python2.1/string.py", line 51, in lower
         return s.lower()
AttributeError: 'None' object has no attribute 'lower'

It LOOKS like a non-member is trying to run a set command.  Or, more
accurately, a set command is trying to process an address that isn't
subscribed to the list.  Is this, indeed, what's happening??  If so, is
there anyway to "fix" this so I don't get this error message, but a more
human readable message with the offending address?  Thanks!

Ryan Hagan
Pacificom Multimedia
ryan at pacificommultimedia.com