[Mailman-Users] General Response Error... user not found...

Jon Carnes jonc at haht.com
Mon Mar 25 21:02:15 CET 2002

Typically this happens when you do not set the aliases in the /etc/aliases
file (for sendmail compliant servers), or you forget to run "newaliases"
after adding the mailing list aliases to /etc/aliases.

In short, you ran ~mailman/bin/newlist <listname> and mailman printed out a
series of aliases that you needed to cut and paste into your /etc/aliases
file, and you did not do it.

Next time you might try running newlist -o

Alternately, you are using a virtual address and have not linked the virtual
address to the proper "real" address.  You may also need to alert Mailman to
the fact that you are using a virtual name for mailing lists (look in
~mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py, but only make changes to mm_cfg.py)