[Mailman-Users] two questions (fwd)

Phil Voris pvmailman at nekophile.com
Tue Mar 19 17:42:49 CET 2002

> 1) looks like you are either missing the directory structure for archive:
>   ~mailman/archives
>                     ../private
>                     ../public
> or the rights are such that Mailman cannot access them

I don't think so.  Everything's pretty much accessible to mailman group
and user.

> 2) If you want Mailman to add the routes when you run "newlist -o ..." then
> it needs write access to the file.  Otherwise, you can simply add the entries
> yourself everytime you add a new list.

I've been updating the aliases manually - the errors come when I try to
send mail.  As far as I can tell, there's only one setup that works:
- a complete copy of the /etc/postfix/aliases file in /home/mailman
- every time I update the site aliases, I have the update the
/home/mailman/aliases file and run postalias on it.
- the following in /etc/postfix/main.cf:

alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/home/mailman/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases

If I use the convention:
alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases, hash:/home/mailman/aliases
I get a postfix error.
If I try to just keep mailman aliases in the /home/mailman/aliases file, I
get the error.
If I chgrp mailman /etc/postfix/aliases and open up the w perms in order
to try to centralize things, I get the error.

The error is:

                        The Postfix program

<list.foo at nekophile.com>: Command died with status 2:
    "/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post list.foo". Command output:
Failure to
    exec script. WANTED gid 41, GOT gid 99.  (Reconfigure to take 99?)

(41 = mailman)