[Mailman-Users] Reply Question

Marc MERLIN marc_news at vasoftware.com
Sat Mar 9 05:45:38 CET 2002

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 04:13:33PM -0600, Jorge Cuevas wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have a question, that I consider tha has been asked before, but I wasn't
> able to find it on the internet nor in the mailman-user list.
>
> Is it  possible to configure mailman  so when you press  the reply button,
> the reply goes to  the sender of the mail, and if  you press the reply-all
> button it goes to ONLY the list?

No. The mail  client sends a  copy to the  author, mailman can't  stop that.
However, if the mail client is mutt, or some similarily enlightened MUA, you
can use list  reply to, and if  you insert a Mail-Followup-To,  you can clue
the client to have reply to all only reply to the list.

> Or probably there's a way so although you send the mail to both the sender
> and the list, mailman can take away  any repeated address in the To and CC
> fields.

Yes.
You're in  luck, I just  ported a patch from  Ben Gertzfield to  mailman cvs
(and it got included, thanks Barry) that does just that.

If you  don't want  to upgrade  to mailman-cvs quite  yet (it  is definitely
useable although a few smaller functions or buttons sometimes get broken for
a day or two),  I think Ben initially wrote his patch  for mailman 2.0 (look
in the archives)

Marc