[Mailman-Users] Using one list to set the configuration for another list

Jon Carnes jonc at haht.com
Tue Mar 5 20:09:52 CET 2002

Two thoughts:

 - You should edit ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py so that your newly created
lists start out with defaults that you like, and thus you have minimal
modifications to make to new lists that you create.  For instructions on
editing that file see it's parent file in the same directory: Defaults.py.
Don't modify the Defaults.py file.  Copy the sections of Defaults.py that
you want to change, and paste them into mm_cfg.py, then change those values
there.

 - You can create a "configuration template" or multiple configuration
templates and store them in your Mailman install.

  Create a list and edit its configuration so that it matches all the
settings you would like in a list. Dump the configuration of the list to a
file:
     ~mailman/bin/config_list -o <filename> <list-name>

  Edit <filename> with any modifications that you want. Specifically you
should delete sections you don't want to change in your new list (like the
name of the list). You should save sections that have configurations that
you want in the new list (like whether posts are moderated or not). Save the
file, and you will have a "configuration template".  You can use it to
modify or setup the configuration of any other list.

  Modify your new list(s) by uploading the "configuration template to it:
     ~mailman/bin/config_lists -i <filename> <list-to-modify>

HtH,

Jon Carnes

BTW: Fernando, it helps others help you if you actually have a subject that
is descriptive in some manner and not just "help" or some equally
nondescript derivation. I am a great believer in asking the "right"
question - for a question, once asked properly contains the seeds of its own
answer.