[Mailman-Users] Retention of Message-Id:

Kevin McCann kmccann at bellanet.org
Thu Jun 27 15:09:40 CEST 2002

Hi there,

I am using a web forum to send messages to a gated Mailman list. I send a
custom Message-Id: header and Mailman seems to retain that. In other words,
when I receive the message in my inbox (I'm a member of the list), it has
the same Message-Id: that was generated by the forum script. Which is great
- I can achieve true threading in the forum using these IDs when processing
email replies. When I send a message from a forum to a Lyris list, however,
Lyris does not retain the Message-Id:, it replaces the one I sent with it's
own.

Can someone tell me which behaviour is correct? Is the behaviour of Lyris
contrary to an RFC stipulation? If so, can someone point me to which RFC
and which rule? If they're not being RFC-compliant I'd like to bring it to
their attention.Ideally, I'd like to gate my forums to any type of list -
Mailman, Lyris, Yahoogroups. Majordomo, ezmlm, you name it. I just need to
know whether I can *usually* depend on Message-Id: retention. If not, I
guess I can create my own header like X-Msg-ID:, but I'd prefer not to.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Kevin McCann