[Mailman-Users] Mailman on a virtual site

Scott Courtney courtney at 4th.com
Wed Jun 26 14:35:32 CEST 2002

On Tuesday 25 June 2002 07:14 pm, Colin J. Raven wrote:
> Greetings all!
> Small (but vital) question:
>
> Can mailman be installed on a virtual site (tenant on a server) by the
> **site** admin?
> Further info:

Yes. The only "root" prerequisite is that the customer's virtual mail domain
must all be routed to that customer's Linux login. This amounts to an entry
in /etc/mail/virtusertable like this:

      @customerdomain.com	local:customerlogin

The customer then uses Procmail recipes to handle all the mail, including
regular mail to the account itself, and the Mailman installation is totally
local within the home directory of the customer.

I'm running this in production on my server, for almost a month with no
trouble. I'm currently writing a HOWTO to explain the procedure; this should
be done in the next day or two and will be announced on the list.

My solution applies to Mailman 2.1b2 and later; I have not tested it with
the earlier versions.

(BTW, the delay in the HOWTO has resulted from my having to learn something
about DocBook in order to write it...the writing isn't the hard part!)

Scott

--
Scott Courtney         | "I don't mind Microsoft making money. I mind them