[Mailman-Users] Problems sending mail from test list

Phillip Morgan pmorgan at qpbd999.quickpages.net.au
Thu Jun 20 05:52:17 CEST 2002

Hi all,

Can you please help me with this one...

I've just finsihed installing mailman 2.0.11 on my slackware linux
system kernel 2.2.19, running sendmail 8.11.4, with Mailman installed
in /usr/local/mailman.

I created a test list as per the INSTALL doc, and went to web
administration which appears to be working fine. Then when sending an
email I get this response...

>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/wrapper post test"
>    (reason: 2)
>    (expanded from: <test at qpbd999.quickpages.net.au>)

>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>Failure to exec script. WANTED gid 12, GOT gid 2.  (Reconfigure to
>take 2?) 554 5.3.0 "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/wrapper post
test"... .unknown mailer error 2

Failure to exec script. Wanted GID 12 got 2?

Err, when I added the group mailman to my /etc/group file, I used GID
25. This is the /etc/passwd and /etc/group entries...

/etc/passwd
mailman:x:1068:100:List Manager:/dev/null:

/etc/group
mailman::25:

And here is the system log entry...
Jun 20 13:06:02 qpbd999 Mailman mail-wrapper: Failure to exec script.
WANTED gid 12, GOT gid 2.  (Reconfigure to take 2?)

There are no errors in my web server logs.

While I have you attention, I have a mailing list of many thousands of
subscribers (I'm converting from mjaordomo to mailman). Can I expect
any performance issues on a Pentium, 550 with 128mb RAM, running
sendmail 8.11.4, apache 1.3.20?

Also, I run several domains on this server, one of the main reasons for
this installation is that it will be primarily used for one of those
hosted domains, not so much for Quickpages. Where can I find doc re
virtual domains for mailman?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Cheers,