[Mailman-Users] Problem with Large Mailing List (431)

Christopher Miles twitch at nervestaple.com
Fri Jun 14 22:12:30 CEST 2002

Hello

I have a rather large mailing list, I¹m also a new Mailman user. I work for
an ISP, and a couple of the organizations we host have had problems with
Yahoo! Groups, so we have setup Mailman for them.

The group in question has around 500 members, which seems like kind of a lot
to me. I¹ve noticed a lot of errors in the log file like this one:

---- snippety-snip

Jun 14 14:50:41 alice courieresmtpd:
error,relay=::ffff:127.0.0.1,from=<haitireport-admin at haitireborn.org>,to=<ma
rthag at bestweb.net>: 431 Too many recipients.

---- snip-snippety

Is this a problem on my end, do you think? I¹m running Mailman on Courier,
and to me this looks like a message from the SMTP server my machine is
delivering to. Is there anything I can do about this?

The second problem I have it with using the same instance of Mailman for
several domains. I was thinking that this would be easy, but I¹m having
problems with the GID used to execute the mail scripts. When I compile, it
seems like no matter how many GID¹s I list in the ³--with-mail-gid² switch,
it only uses the first one. So if mail comes in for another domain, it can¹t
exec the script.

Is there any way to get around this?

Any help you may have would, honestly, be very much appreciated.

Thank You,
-- Miles