[Mailman-Users] Message has implicit destination

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Fri Jun 7 18:49:27 CEST 2002

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 04:02:57PM +1000, Clayton Rogers wrote:
> I have set up two lists.
> List 1: Has three members and and anyone can send to it.
> List 2: Has List 1 as a member and anyone can send to it.
>
> With List 2 I am receiving the error metioned in the Subject section
> above. Why is this so?

Because List 1 doesn't see its name (or a name that it recognizes as
belonging to itself) in the To: or Cc: headers of the messages coming
from List 2.

> I have followed the table in the documentation:
> Receive from anyone in the universe, but the message still requires
> moderation approval.

The problem here is with who the message is addressed to, not who it's
coming from.  You could turn off the "Must posts have list named in
destination (to, cc) field (or be among the acceptable alias names,
specified below)?"  option, but that would increase vulnerability to
spammers.  The better option would be to add List 2's name to the list of
"Alias names (regexps) which qualify as explicit to or cc destination
names for this list."  (Both settings are on the Privacy Options page.)

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss