[Mailman-Users] Flaw or feature? moderated lists & non-member posts

Jeff Garvas jeff at cia.net
Thu Jun 6 05:26:10 CEST 2002

I've been testing some sample mailing lists and trying to "break the
rules" for my environment.

For example, I created a list and configured it to be moderated.  Then, I
posted a message to the list from a non-member account.

One would expect (or atleast I would) that the administration interface
would say something along the lines of "Post from non-member", but the
fact is that doesn't occur.

Instead, the fact that the list is moderated takes precedent and you get a
message along these lines:

"Post to moderated list"

While this is technically correct, a moderated list may wish to bounce
non-member submissions.  Otherwise, an unsuspecting individual may simply
approve a post because it appears to be "on topic", and not have a clue
that the individual is not a member of the list.

If this a flaw?  A bug?

Obviously there has to be a way to make the list say "Post from
non-member" even if the list is in moderated mode.  The question is, if
you approve a non-member post at that point, does it get re-injected and
come up as a post submitted to a moderated list, or does it just go
through?  (I prefer the latter)

Am I barking up the wrong tree?  Is this not an order of precedence issue?

I'm sort of stumped on it.  I have a specific list I'd like to run that is
strictly limited to members only.  Due to the volume of subscribers, it is
clearly possible that someone wouldn't realize a post came from a
non-subscriber in this scenario.

-Jeff