[Mailman-Users] Get to authentication screen, die when page loads

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Mon Jul 29 22:14:42 CEST 2002

Hi folks,

This one's bugging me: I just installed mailman yesterday, so there's
probably a newbie's explanation for it, but I can't find an answer in
the documentation or FAQs.

1) I can load the admin front page:

<http://www.laniels.org/mailman/admin/>

2) If I select a particular list that I created (click the lone link in
the admin page above), I get prompted for a password, and

3) If I enter the wrong password, I get the "authentication failed"
error, but

4) If I enter the right password, I get

  Bug in Mailman version 2.0.12

  We're sorry, we hit a bug!

  Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing of
  traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited,
  but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs.

and I can't continue. That is, I can't do any mailman admin tasks for
any of my lists.

Permissions on my mailman directories look fine:

  slaniel at bertrandrussell:/var/lib$ ls -d mailman
  drwxrwsr-x    8 root     list         4096 Jul 29 12:23 mailman

  slaniel at bertrandrussell:/usr/lib/cgi-bin$ ls -d mailman
  drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jul 29 10:21 mailman

I think Apache's fine, or I wouldn't have been able to load *any*
mailman admin pages, right?

Any thoughts on what might be the issue here?

Thanks,
Steve

--
"The gift of compressing the largest number of words into the
 smallest amount of thought"