[Mailman-Users] Problems sending mail to 2 lists

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Mon Jul 29 18:43:43 CEST 2002

At 11:28 29/07/2002 -0300, Alessandro Luiz Petrocino wrote:
>Hello, everybody !!!
>
>First of all, please, sorry for my terrible english !
>My name is Alessandro, and I am a System Analist of Brazil.
>I work in State University of Campinas (UNICAMP), in Computing Center.
>

>We have a situation here:
>In our principal server, we have the Mailman list server + Postfix working.
>When anyone try to send a message in 2 lists simultaneously (into "TO" field),
>only one list delivery the message ... the other, I have no idea what's
>happens ...
>
>I created two list for tests purposes: teste1-l and teste2-l
>When I send a message to the lists (eg. teste1-l, teste2-l), only teste-2
>delivery the message
>for me ... teste1-l appers to be dead !
>
>When I try the inverse, the same occurs, but in the inverse order
>(teste1-l delivery the message, teste2-l do nothing! )
>
>Can anyone help me ? I

Just for interest I tried this on our system with two lists. If found that:

1. Our MTA (Sendmail) log showed the message inbound from my MUA; in fact
from my MUA via our main mail server

2. The Mailman $prefix/logs/post log had the post of the message to each of
the two lists

3. The Mailman $prefix/logs/smtp log had the post of the message to each of
the two lists

However, like you, I only received one message from Mailman, on behalf of
one of the two lists to which the post was made.

When I did some further checking, it looks as though the message out by
Mailman from the second list has been removed by our imap/pop server. The
way we have that configured, it it gets for
delivery multiple messages with the same value in their Message-ID header
it only delivers the first of them: same id, same message so I suppose this
is valid.

In practice, this looks as though it is OK as long as the end users get at
least one of the two messages sent out by Mailman if they are one one or
the other or both of the lists. The fact they only get one message if they
are on both lists means they have less clutter in their inbox.

Could your imap/pop server be configured to do something similar?