[Mailman-Users] Re: decision help

Steve Arnold sarnold at arnolds.dhs.org
Fri Jul 26 04:30:34 CEST 2002

  Don Cooley wrote:

[snip]

> Looks like I have three options:
> 1.  Commercial Hosting

Expensive but they should have responsive tech support.  Only do
this if you can afford it, and make sure they have 24/7 response to
problems.  I would tend to do it myself (wait a minute - I do!)  See
below.

> 2.  Do-it-yourself

Since you have DSL, if you're willing to try running it yourself,
this is the best option (IMHO).  Yes, you can do it.  You mentioned
RedHat, which is pretty easy to install and configure.  Yes it'll
take some time to learn the ins and outs, but it's worth the
investment.  This option puts you in control, but it also makes you
responsible.  You don't need fast hardware; I have an old P-120 with
40 megs of ram and an 18 gig SCSI drive, on an inexpensive UPS,
connected to my DSL circuit.  It's got 305 days of uptime now (since
the last PG&E power outage that went 6 hours) and almost 2 years
before that.  It runs postfix, mailman, bind, ntp, apache, samba,
cups, ipchains, etc, and it handles it just fine (your email load is
minimal, in spite of the other guy's comment).

Take advantage of the one guy's offer, and have him help you with
the initial setup and security configuration on-site.  I can help
you with the rest (but you have to be willing to do some homework
yourself).  I can also point you to a nice discount hardware site if
you need parts.

You can buy your own domain name for less than $10/year, and that
should be your total cost (except for the hardware and DSL circuit).
  There are other low cost (and even free) domain name options as
well.  You shouldn't need to route mail through your ISP.

I'll actually be there next month for the LinuxWorld conference, so
we can meet up if you like.

Go ahead, take the plunge.  You'll be glad you did.

> 3.  sympathetic sysadmin

This might seem like a good idea at first, but what happens when
that person leaves, or new management comes in?  You'd have no
control (and no leverage).

Let me know if you need any help (feel free to contact me directly).

Steve