[Mailman-Users] cookie error w/spaces in list names

Peter Scholtz pgscholt at ole.augie.edu
Fri Jul 26 01:17:39 CEST 2002

Hi all!

Here's my problem: apparently Mailman 2.1b2 allows spaces in list
names.  Fine.  That's handy, but when I try to log in to the newly
created admin page for such a list, I get this cookie error:

Bug in Mailman version 2.1b2

We're sorry, we hit a bug!

Traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/var/mailman/scripts/driver", line 82, in run_main
     main()
   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/admin.py", line 82, in main
     cgidata.getvalue('adminpw', '')):
   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/SecurityManager.py", line 208, in
WebAuthenticate
     print self.MakeCookie(ac, user)
   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/SecurityManager.py", line 224, in MakeCookie
     c[key] = binascii.hexlify(marshal.dumps((issued, mac)))
   File "/usr/src/build/87651-i386/install/usr/lib/python2.2/Cookie.py",
line 585, in __setitem__
     self.__set(key, rval, cval)
   File "/usr/src/build/87651-i386/install/usr/lib/python2.2/Cookie.py",
line 578, in __set
     M.set(key, real_value, coded_value)
   File "/usr/src/build/87651-i386/install/usr/lib/python2.2/Cookie.py",
line 456, in set
     raise CookieError("Illegal key value: %s" % key)
CookieError: Illegal key value: chess club+admin

I can only assume this has to do with the space in the list name.  This
isn't a huge problem, but if Mailman's going to allow spaces, it should
handle them correctly.  At least, is there any way to prohibit the
creation of lists with spaces built in to Mailman (e.g. it gives the
user feedback and they can go back and fix this, or Mailman could
automatically remove spaces or replace them with hyphens or underscores)?

Thanks!

--Peter

Peter Scholtz
Augustana College