[Mailman-Users] Re: Exim 4.05 & Mailiman - Missing the Directors Configuration (update)

Mike Gifford mike at openconcept.ca
Wed Jul 17 19:18:22 CEST 2002

Hello Again,

> | I'm assuming now that the Directors Config area in the runtime
> | configuration file has been removed in 4.x
> Correct.  exim4 was revamped, and the router/director distinction was
> removed.

Ok..  So when mailman's README.EXIM tells me to put files in the
Directors section, this should be the same as putting it in the ROUTERS
CONFIGURATION section as exim is no longer distinguishing between the
two.

> | If so does anyone have any suggestions on the modifications required
> | to a 4.05 setting to get mailman & exim cooperating?
> Convert the example director to a router.

I've tried to do this... I can't see how it would need any more
configuration..  However exim 4.05 seems to dislike the driver =
smartuser in the following (Now at the bottom of the Routers Config
section):

list_owner_director:
   driver = smartuser
   require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/${lc:$local_part}/config.db
   suffix = "-owner"
   new_address = "${lc:$local_part}-admin@${domain}"

The error it gives me is as follows:

[root at learningpartnership exim.mike]# bin/exim -C configure -bV
Exim version 4.05 #3 built 13-Jul-2002 23:35:22
Copyright (c) University of Cambridge 2002
2002-07-16 10:31:21 Exim configuration error in line 438:
  router list_owner_director: cannot find router driver "smartuser"

I've been searching for info on this error, but I can't seem to find
much of interest.  Does exim 4.05 support a smartuser driver or has this
concept too been revised.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/mailman/mailman/README.EXIM?rev=2.4&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

>From this I'm guessing that
	driver = smartuser
should be replaced by
	driver = accept

But pretty much every line in the exim config looks like it would need
to be rewritten as
	suffix = -request
	new_address = "${lc:$local_part}-admin@${domain}"
	(and likely others)
	prefix = "owner-"

all need to be rewritten for 4.0.5

> I'm sure you can combine the data in the mailman instructions and
> exim's spec to create the necessary transports and routers tailored to
> your usage of mailman.  If you have specific questions about certain
> options or something, then by all means ask.

The are very different and I don't know enough about exim or mailman to
wade through the code and try to find something that 'may' work via
trial & error.  Could take years..

Is there a way to rewrite this easily for exim 4.05?  What other
instructions are no longer useful in the new exim and can I just replace
them?

list_owner_director:
   driver = smartuser
   require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/${lc:$local_part}/config.db
   suffix = "-owner"
   new_address = "${lc:$local_part}-admin@${domain}"

owner_list_director:
   driver = smartuser
   require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/${lc:$local_part}/config.db
   prefix = "owner-"
   new_address = "${lc:$local_part}-admin@${domain}"

##
## Next 3 directors direct admin, request and list mail to the
appropriate
## transport.  List existence is checked as above.

list_admin_director:
   driver = smartuser
   suffix = -admin
   require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/${lc:$local_part}/config.db
   transport = list_admin_transport

list_request_director:
   driver = smartuser
   suffix = -request
   require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/${lc:$local_part}/config.db
   transport = list_request_transport

list_director:
   driver = smartuser
   require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/${lc:$local_part}/config.db
   transport = list_transport

> (I haven't personally
> configured mailman so I can't really give any better info than that)

That makes it harder..  I didn't think I was doing anything too
groundbreaking here..  this isn't the alpha release of exim..  Had hoped
that others using mailman had upgraded to a more current version of exim
than 3.33 and would have experience (and config pointers) to share.

Mike
--
Mike Gifford, OpenConcept Consulting, http://www.openconcept.ca
Open Source Web Applications for Social Change.