[Mailman-Users] Installation trouble

marco nicolis nicolis at unisi.it
Mon Jul 8 21:36:57 CEST 2002

hi all,
let me say I am a newbie and I have ensim on my server. Both undesireble
characteristics, I guess. I followed the installation instruction the best
I could but I still get errors. At the end of the installation process I
can create the list and I get mail from the mailman. however, clicking on
the links I get 'Internal Server Error'. I read in the troubleshooting
section that this has likely to do with the GID settings. I don't really
know what I am talking about, but...
as to the
    --with-mail-gid=<group-or-groups>
             Specify an alternative group for running scripts via the
             mail wrapper.  <group-or-groups> can be a list of one or
             more integer group ids or symbolic group names.  The first
             value in the list that resolves to an existing group is
             used.  By default, the value is the list `other daemon'.

I checked in the configuration file and the best I could come up with is
mail:mail and the user apache for the cgi gid.
the check_perms script reports no error.
the group/user mailman are created and I did change the chgrp to mailman
for the installation directory.
I believe the installation directory should be accessible by the browser
(??) so I changed the --prefix to something else and gave the required
permissions etc.
as to the syslog stuff, I am not sure I located it correctly on my server
but in what I found there was no mention of an ID required and of a wrong
one used.
Also...I manually specified the WWW and MAIL hosts before ./configure,
since what it'd get is the domain of the server as opposed to the one of
the site (if this makes sense...)

Would it be too much to ask if someone can take a look at this stuff?
thanks
marco