[Mailman-Users] How many emails address i need??

Detlef Neubauer detlef.neubauer at charite.de
Fri Jul 5 11:12:20 CEST 2002

jorgefm at cirsa.com writes:

> detlef.neubauer at charite.de writes:
> >> Another questions: How does the mailman gets the emails requests?
> >
> >Mailman gets the mails from the MTA/MDA.
>
> I use sendmail as MTA.
>
> >> Where i have to put the emails address configuration, the email user
> >> and password account ?
> >
> >Did you mean the subscribers?
>
> No. I was speaking about the 'curso_linux at domain.tld' email account. If the
> mailman have to get the emails from that account, he has to initialize a
> session
> in the mail server where that emails are, in my case, a lotus notes email
> server. Then the mailman have to login in the email server using a user
> (curso_linux)
> and a password (xxxxxx). Where i have to put this info ? Is a sendmail info
> or a mailman
> info ?

Sorry, i don't understand your problem.

I want try to understand it. Is your curretly situation so:

1. Main mail server for your company is a lotus notes mail server.
2. In the company lan you have the mailman server with sendmail.
3. "curso_linux at domain.tld" is an address that will be forwarded from
   the main mail server to mailman server.
4. Mailman creates the messages for the subscribers, send the
   messages to sendmail at the mailman server and sendmail send the
   messages to the relayhost (the lotus notes server).

> >> I suppose that the mailman have to read the emails from the
> >> 'curso_linux at domain.tld', then i have to set up how to get thats
> >> emails ?
> >
> >Yes, a mail that was send to "curso_linux at domain.tld" goes to the list
> >and mailman delivers it to all members of the list.

Sorry that was a mistake. Mailman send the message to the local MTA
and the local MTA send the mails in to the world. (or only to the
relayhost that is configured in the MTA setup)

> The path 'a mail that was send to "curso_linux at domain.tld" goes to
> the list' is no clear to me :-)

Ups, now i understand what you mean.

Mailman does not fetch the mails from your lotus notes mail
server. Tell the lotus notes mail server that he must forward all
messages for "curso_linux|-admin|-request at domain.tld" to your mailman
server.

If there is no way, you can use fetchmail to fetch the mails from the
lotus notes mail server.

> Once the list have the mail the delivery process it's clear.

Ok.

Our configuration in the company is:

Main mail server gets all messages and split it to 2 other mail
servers with the user accounts and to 1 server with mailman.

Mailman send all messages only to his relayhost (the main mail server)
and the main mail server split the messages to the 2 other mail
servers with the user accounts and in to the world.

HTH

Hola
Detlef Neubauer

--