[Mailman-Users] Importing lists from majordomo

matthew.malthouse at guardian.co.uk matthew.malthouse at guardian.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 13:16:54 CET 2002

On 29/01/2002 03:56:16 Juan Luis Baptiste wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Finally I got mailman running, thanks to the people that helped me. Now I
>need to migrate some email addresses that I got in some lists in majordomo
>to mailman, but it seems that mailman doesn't use a plain text file with
>the addresses for each list, right? how can I import them to mailman?

Clean up the export from Majordomo so there's one subscriber per line and no
comments in a plain text file then there's a script

  ~mailman/bin/add_members

Usage:
    add_members [-n <file>] [-d <file>] [-c <y|n>] [-w <y|n>] [-h] listname

Where:

    --non-digest-members-file <file>
    -n <file>
        A file containing addresses of the members to be added, one
        address per line.  This list of people become non-digest
        members.  If <file> is `-', read addresses from stdin.

    --digest-members-file <file>
    -d <file>
        Similar to above, but these people become digest members.

    --changes-msg=<y|n>
    -c <y|n>
        set whether or not to send the list members the `there's going to be
        big changes to your list' message. defaults to no.

    --welcome-msg=<y|n>
    -w <y|n>
        set whether or not to send the list members a welcome message,
        overriding whatever the list's `send_welcome_msg' setting is.

    --help
    -h
        Print this help message and exit.

    listname
        The name of the Mailman list you are adding members to.  It must
        already exist.