[Mailman-Users] Newbie question: Aliases in postfix not being created

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Wed Jan 23 23:00:34 CET 2002

Jeffrey Davis wrote:

> 1. Why isn't mailman creating the aliases automatically when I run ./newlist

    Because different MTA's use different alias files and MM can't just go on assuming
what you have, where it is and how to add it.  Aliases _can_ be added automatically if
you tell it to by supplying the -o <filename> [1] on the command line:  ./newlist -o
/etc/mail/aliases (for sendmail)

    However, it won't run the newaliases command for you, you need to do that yourself.
And I don't know what your MTA needs in terms of aliases.

> 2. If I want to add the alias "test" manually what does this alias map to?

    MM tells you the aliases at the end of the list creation process, just prior to
sending mail out to the list owner.:

./bin/newlist
Enter the name of the list: test
Enter the email of the person running the list: ashley at pcraft.com
Initial test password:
Entry for aliases file:

## test mailing list
## created: 23-Jan-2002 mailman
test:                    "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post test"
test-admin:              "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner test"
test-request:            "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd test"
test-owner:              test-admin

    AMK4

    [1] Read ./newlist -h

--
W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.