[Mailman-Users] domain problem

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Wed Jan 16 23:09:27 CET 2002

On 16 Jan 2002, Andreas Kotowicz wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 22:48, alex wetmore wrote:
> > Only for subdomains that have mailing lists with competing names.  I
> > host lists on three subdomains using one copy of mailman.
>
> are you using sendmail? let's say you have a list that listens to the
> name testlist at sub.domain.com. what happens if you send an email to
> testlist at domain.com? do you get an error message that this address
> doesn't exist? or does the email get delivered to that list anyway?
> that's what it's not supposed to do.
>
> if you do get an error - how did you configure sendmail to distinguish
> between the domains?

First of all, please don't send my private email back to a public
forum.  That is incredibly rude.

No, I don't use sendmail.  My incoming mail is handled by postfix.  In
your example above, yes, the mail would go to domain.com.  This has
never bothered me, and if it did I'm sure I could reconfigure postfix
(or sendmail) to only allow email to the list if it was sent to the
correct domain.

alex