[Mailman-Users] HTML Email

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Wed Jan 16 18:09:15 CET 2002

Tom Warfield wrote:

> So now I am faced with this question.  Is this a new feature or is this
> a bug fix that needs to be reported?  I found that it does try and
> attach the footer, but since it is an HTML email it attaches the footer
> at the bottom of the message which is the wrong place.  It should be
> attaching itself before the </html> and in proper HTML format as well.

    You're asking mailman to open up the HTML mail, read the last few lines to determine where the closing </html> tag is and insert a footer right above that.  This is, of course, assuming the original mail was already written properly (_with_ the closing tag).  It's also assuming someone's not doing some fancy footwork and creating frames, tables or what not in their post, just to attach your footer to it.

    I'm not saying this is impossible to do, however don't you think it's a bit much to ask from a list program?  Yes, it would be a nice feature if it could do that, but really, how many people using mailman actually use it for HTML mail?  Considering how many people scream up and down about HTML mail, and some readers that still don't support HTML mail...do you really want to go there?

    I run several lists on my servers, and of the several thousand subscribers I have, perhaps 1% has HTML enabled - even so, no one posts in HTML.

    My 2 cents.

--
H | "Life is the art of drawing without an eraser." - John Gardner
  Director of Internet Operations / SysAdmin    .     800.441.3873 x130