[Mailman-Users] Moving Mailman to another Machine

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Tue Jan 15 22:23:31 CET 2002

Tina Harshbarger wrote:

> I need to move my lists to another machine.  Can I simply copy over the
> /lists directory?  Or is there another "approved" way to do this?  I don't
> want to have to setup these 30 lists again and try to get subscriber
> lists, etc.

    You can copy your ~mailman/lists, ~mailman/archives, and ~mailman/data [1]
over, however if the paths are not the same on both machines, you'll have to
run ~mailman/bin/move_list on each list (I do it anyway for good measure).  If
you had filters setup, you'd have to copy those as well (~mailman/filters).
You may as well check your ~mailman/qfiles [2] too.

    Don't forget to shut off your cron task on the old server prior to moving
anything.  Also, remember to re-create all your aliases on the new machine.
Check permissions (specially UID/GID's since you're moving to a new distro)
before you restart cron on the new server.

    [1] ~mailman/data is where your pending subscriptions are stored
    [2] Generally you want qfiles to be empty before you move anything

--
W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.