[Mailman-Users] no require password for unsubscribe?

Jon Carnes jonc at haht.com
Tue Jan 15 00:54:00 CET 2002

you can setup your lists so that folks can unsubscribe via email without a
password.  This is simple to do, but requires some setup.  This setup is
good for any number of email "triggers" that you might want to use with
Mailman.

 - In the aliases file, add an entry for the unsubscribe email:
     volleyball-unsub:  "|/usr/local/sbin/v-unsub"

 - In the /etc/smrsh directory:
     ln -s /usr/local/sbin/v-unsub v-unsub

 - In /usr/local/sbin create the script v-unsub:

#!/bin/bash
# script to unsubscribe user from volleyball list
#   Mail to volleyball-unsub at haht.com
UNSUB=`grep -i "Subject: " - |head -1`
for i in $UNSUB
  do
  # === Note: the below text is all on one line...===
  echo $i |grep -q "@" && echo "/home/mailman/bin/remove_members volleyball
$i" >> /home/mailman/ext/pending_removals
  # === Note: the above text is all on one line... ===
done
chmod 0777 /home/mailman/ext/pending_removals

 - Make the script executable:
     chmod a+x /usr/local/sbin/v-unsub

 - Create the directory /home/mailman/ext
     mkdir /home/mailman/ext
     chmod 0777 /home/mailman/ext

===

Now if you send an email to volleyball-unsub it will execute the command
v-unsub which will create a file with Mailman commands inside for the
removal of users from the list "volleyball".  The created file
"pending_removals" will look something like this:
   /home/mailman/bin/remove_members volleyball jonc at haht.com
   /home/mailman/bin/remove_members volleyball lemontree at hool.com

You need to execute this file as Mailman (or root), and then delete the
file.  One easy way to do this is to write another script and then setup
that script to run out of cron.  Scripts run out of the Mailman cron will be
executed as the user mailman.

 - Write a script to run the file: pending_removals. Then delete the file.
We will call the file: /home/mailman/bin/exec_mailman
     #!/bin/bash
     # execute a program as the user mailman, requires set-up in crontab
     /home/mailman/ext/pending_removals
     rm /home/mailman/ext/pending_removals

 - Change to the user Mailman, and edit the cron table:
     su mailman
     crontab -e

# Crontable entry to auto-remove users
0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /home/mailman/bin/exec_mailman

===

The script "exec_mailman" runs every 5 minutes, so users who email
volleyball-unsub can expect to get a message back in about 5 minutes telling
them that they are unsubscribed.

You can use this scheme to automate any number of mailman functions via
email triggers.  You can also include password checking, and origin checking
fairly easily.

Jon Carnes

BTW: you really should include an " if [ -x
/home/mailman/ext/pending_removals ] line in the script "exec_mailman or
your going to get a lot of errors indicating that the script doesn't
exist...