[Mailman-Users] Re: sendmail + mailman

jgo john at nisus.com
Thu Jan 10 23:45:26 CET 2002

> At 2002-01-08 11:39:27 -0500 "Daniel J. Luke" wrote:
>> On Tue, 2002 Jan 08 at 00:02:58 -0800, jgo wrote:
>> Anyone know of likely things that could be going wrong, here?
>
> By default, sendmail on OS X doesn't use the alias file (it uses NetInfo).
>
> Either modify your sendmail.cf file to use the alias file,

It says it's using /etc/mail/aliases but...

> or put your aliases into the /alias directory of netinfo --
>
> Here's an example:
> % niutil -read . /aliases/foo
> name: foo
> members:  "|/path/to/bar.pl"

Yes!  That was a significant step.  I looked at the niutil man page,
but ended up just adding them in via the NetInfo GUI since there
were just a few.

Now, it complains:
smrsh: wrapper not available for sendmail programs
and I do recall mention of smrsh, but ignored it after not
seeing smrsh anywhere (using sudo find / ...) at the time.

>> Oh, and one other thing.  For some unknown reason, the permissions on some
>> of the /etc files/directories keeps changing back to allow group write!
>> ...is there any reason this should happen?
>>
>> Mac OS X 10.1.2
>> Mailman 2.0.7
>
> Sometimes Installer.app packages stomp over permissions on your
> filesystem (for example, every time I install an OS update from
> Apple, I have to fix the permissions on / on my machine).

Sounds like a reasonable explanation.  I had done a sw update from
Apple each time before it did that.

John G. Otto, Eagle Scout, Knight, Cybernetic Praxeologist
Existence, Consciousness, Identity, Life, Liberty, Property, Privacy, Justice