[Mailman-Users] Empty listinfo

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 16:08:57 CET 2002

At 13:31 10/01/2002 +0100, Jerome Warnier wrote:
> > At 12:24 10/01/2002 +0100, Jerome Warnier wrote:
> > >I get an empty listinfo page.
> > >What may I have done wrong?
> > >
> > >At the beginning, it sometimes displayed some of the lists, but now,
> they're
> > >all gone.
> >
> > So, what have you changed recently?
>Just added lists. But it didn't work well (it appeared sometimes, sometimes
>not) since the very beginning.
> >
> > Assuming MM 2.0.X, factors affecting whether a list appears on listinfo
> (as
> > opposed to admin) are:
> >
> > 1. the value of the list's 'advertised' option (the first one on the page)
> > of the Privacy Options Section of the list's admin web GUI
>I first thought that was the problem.
> >
> > 2. the value of VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW in $prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py or
> > mm_cfg.py. If this is set to true (usually 1) then you may be experiencing
> > the effect of Mailman Virtual Host feature. In that case the address of
> the
> > URL used to access listinfo is compared with the list's 'web_page_url'
> > option (the last one of the General Options Section of the list's admin
> web
> > GUI. If they do not match, the list is not added to the listinfo page
>returned.
>How do disable this feature? I don't need it.

Putting a line saying the following in your $prefix/mailman/mm_cfg.py file
should do it:

     VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = 0

>By the way, could a web proxy change this?

I wouldn't expect it to but the address comparison is based on information
obtained each time $prefix/Maillman/Cgi/listinfo.py is run as a cgi script.
Some esoteric configurations might have an effect: for instance if you have
a load balancing front end proxy server redirecting incoming requests to
one of multiple back end servers which have different names where the
browsers concerned do not include a Host: HTTP header.

The code establishes the host name the request was made to as follows:

1. First preference is what the browser put in the Host: header of the
request; if your browser is HTTP/1.1 compliant this header should be
present and some HTTP/1.0 browsers also add it.

2. In the absence of a Host: header the second preference is what the HTTP
Server put in the SERVER_NAME CGI environment variable. This will,
hopefully, have come from an applicable ServerName directive in the Apache
config file for the request being serviced. If you have failed to put a
ServerName directive in httpd.conf then the SERVER_NAME is likely to be
whatever is found with a gethostbyaddr lookup on the server's IP number
which may or may not be the name that the browser machine (or possibly a
proxy making the request on behalf of a brwoser) looked up to determine the
IP number of the machine it was going to make the request too.

3. Otherwise, the contents of DEFAULT_HOST_NAME in
$prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py or mm_cfg.py is used.

The code looks for the host name is has determined to be the same as the
one in the list's 'web_page_url' parameter. If it is the list is added to
the listinfo page.

So it will all depend on what your browser does and your server's
configuration and maybe on intermediate HTTP proxy servers.