[Mailman-Users] Install Question

Tim Legg mail_man at pc047113.stuorg.iastate.edu
Tue Jan 8 07:45:30 CET 2002

FreeBSD 4.4, Postfix

I am preparing to install mailman-2.0.8 on my system according to my
INSTALL document.  In step 1, I was told to create user and group mailman
by modifying the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files.

Is it good enough to create these accounts/groups by placing them alone on
a single line, or should I fill in the other atributes?

In FreeBSD, /etc/passwd and /etc/group have the fields delimited by
colons.  I am not entirely clear on what each of these fields represent,
but should I know what to enter for the shell path, home dir path, real
name, et cetera?

TIA

Tim Legg