[Mailman-Users] arch python errors, bad marshall data

Marc MERLIN marc_news at vasoftware.com
Mon Jan 7 08:15:44 CET 2002

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 01:41:49PM -0800, Tom Perrine wrote:
> I guess what I'm getting at is that the "arch" program uses LOTS of
> memory when building some of the indexes, and that incremental
> "arch"-ing may be more efficient and less likely to exercise
> memory-related bugs in Mailman, Python, or the underlying system.

I was asking about this recently (never had the time to try it out):
So you are saying that arch can be fed let's say weekly or monthly mbox
files and it will correctly generate the archive?

I've considered doing  this on setups where  I can't afford to  run arch for
every single  message posted (and  delay qrunner as  a result), but  where I
should be able  to run it for  batches of messages once a  night (strace has
shown me that  arch is very slow at  editing the huge HTML pages  to add one
message at the bottom,  but my hope is that if you add  a batch, it does not
incrementally add the messages one per one)

Marc