[Mailman-Users] Postfix refuses to relay for Mailman

Maarten de Vries mdv at unsavoury.net
Mon Jan 7 19:58:06 CET 2002

Hi all,

if this next question has been asked and answered before I'm sorry, but
I've spent all afternoon in vain google'ing to find that answer.

Here's what's wrong. I run Mailman 2.0.8 with Postfix (20010228.8_1), on a
machine which I'll call 'A.domain.name' here. I've installed Mailman as
'B.domain.name' (yes, 'B.domain.name' has a valid A-record), so when for
instance a user is added to a list, an e-mail will be sent from
'list-admin at B.domain.name' to 'user at external.domain'. This gives the
following error:

Jan  7 17:55:23 A postfix/smtpd[22053]: reject: RCPT from
localhost[127.0.0.1]: 554 <user at external.domain>: Recipient address
rejected: Relay access denied; from=<list-admin at B.domain.name>
to=<user at external.domain>

Obviously, Postfix doesn't want to relay mail for host 'B', which is on
the same server. I've tried tons of different options in main.cf (of
course followed everytime by a 'postfix reload', but no cigar.

What am I missing here? How do I tell Postfix to relay for host 'B'?

I know that this might not be the right list to post this on, but since
I'm told that Mailman is developed mainly on Postfix, I was hoping to find
some answers here still :-)

Thanks in advance,
mdv at unsavoury.net
all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed