FW: [Mailman-Users] qfiles building up + (111, 'Connection refused')

Simon, imagine media simon at imaginemedia.co.uk
Wed Jan 2 21:34:25 CET 2002

Morning David,

I have solved my problem! Just to recap for others I was having the
following problem:

Messages in qfiles are not being posted, and I had this error in logs/smtp:

"Dec 20 09:12:03 2001 (10830) All recipients refused: (111, 'Connection
refused')
Dec 20 09:12:03 2001 (10830) smtp for 1 recips, completed in 0.002 seconds"

After checking everything many times and rebuilding Mailman etc it turns out
that Sendmail was binding only to the loopback interface by default, so when
Mailman tried to send out on localhost:25 the connection was refused as
there was now smtp service bound to this port. Running 'netstat -a' or 'lsof
-i | grep sendmail' gave:

sendmail  24441 root    4u  IPv4 32620009       TCP
ns0.imagineinternet.co.uk:smtp (LISTEN)

But we should see:

sendmail  24441 root    4u  IPv4 32620009       TCP *:smtp (LISTEN)

if mailman is to work! Note last two fields showing
localhost.localdomain:smtp in first example (rather than *:smtp)!

To fix this you will need to tinker with
/usr/share/sendmail-cf/cf/redhat.mc and look for:

dnl This changes sendmail to only listen on the loopback device 127.0.0.1
dnl and not on any other network devices. Comment this out if you want
dnl to accept email over the network.
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')

Do what it suggests and comment (dnl) out the 'DAEMON_OPTIONS' line and save
the file. Then 'make redhat.cf' and 'cp redhat.cf /etc/sendmail.cf'

Every thing should then work! Good luck and Happy New Year!

Simon
Simon Lorenz
Systems Modelling
Imagine Media Ltd