[Mailman-Users] Some suggestions... and queries

Frederick Noronha fred at bytesforall.org
Sat Feb 23 19:06:18 CET 2002

I am a new Mailman user from India, and would like to thank all our
friends out there who have done a great job in putting this excellent
software together.

Just to give a little background about myself: I've been involved with
mailing lists since from about 1995-96. Because of our slow Internet
connectivity, the fact that we could share and tune into so much
information was a real boon for us living in Third World countries like
India.

In the past, it was largely Majordomo. Because it was free, that was the
only thing we could afford (what with the crazy dollar-rupee exchange
rate, and also that proprietorial software is usually priced keeping First
World earning-levels in mind.

In the last couple of years, I have been working increasingly on
GNU/Linux. When someone recently suggested Mailman, I got a chance to test
it out as a list-admin, and immediately fell in love with it too.

Some of its facilities are very helpful. Particularly:
* Archiving of postings
* Ease of removing/subscribers via the Net interface
* Bounce-control features etc etc

Members requiring a password to unsubscribe is one major problem. But I
understand this is being worked on.

If one had a wishlist for new features, it might include:
* The ability to subscribe/unsubscribe members (and also approve
  postings) via email.Imagine the plight of those of us still dependent
  on slow Internet connections (I live in a village and travel 8 kms
  when I need the Net for work beyond e-mail.)
* Ability to put up photographs, files on the list-archive...
  as permitted by yahoogroups.com
* Ability to download Yahoogroups archives and convert to
  mbox format, as possible using yahoo2mbox

Is this a realistic wish list? Do let me have your feedback.
FN
--
Frederick Noronha * Freelance Journalist * Goa * India 832.409490 / 409783
BYTESFORALL www.bytesforall.org  * GNU-LINUX http://linuxinindia.pitas.com