[Mailman-Users] News Gateway not spam

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Feb 23 06:04:25 CET 2002

Mailman is Open Source so you should be able to modify the news to mail
gateway and change the sender so that it is always <listname>-admin.

Yes, yes, yes.  You believe it is beyond your abilities or it will take a
monstrous amount of work on your part, alas, but you are wrong.  Take a look
at the code.  It's very easy to read and edit.

Find the program/script that Mailman uses for the News-to-Mail gateway by
looking at the Cron entries for the Mailman user.  They are well documented,
and should identify the script for you.

  ~mailman/cron/gate_news

Now that you know the name of the script and its location, you can back up
the script and then edit it.  As a first try you might add the following line
right before the comment: # Post the message to the locked list,

  msg['From'] = "<listname>-admin at mydomain.com"

I've no idea what the msg function is but... Python is increadably logical.

Good luck,
Jon Carnes