[Mailman-Users] Web interface saves no settings or info!

Scott Spence scott at noggon.com
Thu Feb 21 19:12:25 CET 2002

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

> Scott Spence wrote:
>
> > This INSTALL file *MUST* be wrong - surely??
>
>     They are misleading...

i.e. Misname a feature of the ./configure utility? - very misleading! ;-)

> > Permission denied: '/var/lib/mailman/logs/error'
> >
> > I go though changing these permissions and get the same problem (ie
> > basically SGID is not working..).....I think it must have 'defaults' set not JUST 'rw'
>
>     FYI, _all_ of my servers running mailman have 'defaults' set in
> fstab.  As I said before, your fstab (theoretically) has nothing to do
> with it.  The 'defaults' setting in fstab sets the following options:
> rw, suid, dev, exec, auto, nouser, and async

yes, that is why I think defaults is likely to be a better option than rw

If I change it i think I have to reboot (or re-mount) for it to take
effect - right?

>     One thing I forgot to ask you before...  When you configured, made
> and ran make install, what user were you logged in as?

i made it as myself- not root (I see what you are getting at) - I made
sure I (as a normal user) had write access to the directory.

Somthing interesting I did was copy the apache binary and create a
differnet conf file on the non rw mounted partition - no change - perhaps
it is because python is running from there also..

:-(

Scott

> --
> H | "Life is the art of drawing without an eraser." - John Gardner
>   Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley at pcraft.com>   .   303.442.6410 x130
>   Director of Internet Operations / SysAdmin    .     800.441.3873 x130
>   Photo Craft Laboratories, Inc.            .     3550 Arapahoe Ave, #6
>   http://www.pcraft.com ..... .  .    .       Boulder, CO 80303, U.S.A.

Scott Mobile: +34 65 337 8573
Fiona Mobile: +34 65 337 8574