[Mailman-Users] Moderated list: admin vs moderator

Paul-Catalin Oros paul-l at integration.qc.ca
Thu Feb 21 19:18:41 CET 2002

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Marcel Hicking wrote:

> Paul-Catalin Oros <paul-l at integration.qc.ca> 20 Feb 2002 at
> 13:16:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > http://www.imsa.edu/~ckolar/mailman/mailman-administration-v2.html describes
> > "Posting privileges explained" somewhere. What you should do is to have
> > "Posting restricted to members" set to No, and have some Implicitly approved
> > people. I just tested this and it works fine.
> >
> > Is this what you were trying to do?
>
> Hmm, sort of. I was thinking about using the implicit email
> adress posting allowed thing, but since From etc header can
> be most easily faked, I don't think this is very secure?
> What do you think?

I don't think Mailman in its current incarnation can do more than that. So you
would probably have to ressort to external filters. An idea would be to build
a system that does digital signatures verification. Or if you want something
simpler, just use a filter that checks for a certain header to be present,
then forwards the email to the list. Of course, you should drop the header
before it gets to the list. All other emails would be silently dropped.

Someone here on the list expressed his disdain of Procmail. I didn't have bad
experiences myself with it, even if I can't consider myself a Procmail power
user. I think a solution that simply checks for a header and drops emails that
don't have it should be fairly easy to implement.

Another option would be to use mail server restrictions to achieve a similar
result. Something like denying all email that doesn't come from the local
host to the list, have all messages that come to the list arrive to you, and
you would manually post them to the list, from the local host.

These are just some ideas, I'm sure other people have greater and better ones,

		  Paul