[Mailman-Users] Terms, was: Moderated list: admin vs moderator

Marcel Hicking hicking at du.gtn.com
Thu Feb 21 12:11:32 CET 2002

jgo <john at nisus.com> 21 Feb 2002 at 0:39:

> > At 2002-02-20 13:16:37 -0500 Paul-Catalin Oros wrote:
> >> On Wed, 2002-02-20, Marcel Hicking wrote:
> >> I'd like to have a moderated (here: announcements only)
> >> list where I have an additional admin ("moderator") who
> >> would be allowed nothing but approve or reject postings
> >> (which usually would be only his own postings /
> >> announcements)
>
> > http://www.imsa.edu/~ckolar/mailman/mailman-administration-v2.html
> > describes "Posting privileges explained" somewhere.  What you
> > should do is to have "Posting restricted to members" set to No,
> > and have some Implicitly approved people.  I just tested this
> > and it works fine.
>
> > Is this what you were trying to do?
>
> I suspect the reason this one gets asked repeatedly is that it's
> counter-intuitive.  "Posting restricted to members" is separate
> from the issue of "Posting allowed only from specific e-mail
> addresses".

Sorry, though I got that celar enough:
This is an announcement-only list, ie. in your
terms a "news-letter".

> And people think of it different ways, too.  We see different
> terms used.  Is it a "moderated" list, or a "news-letter", or a
> "send-only" list?  "Moderated" to me means potentially anyone
> (or only subscribers) could submit material, but only some would
> be distributed.  "News-letters" or "send-only" or "distribution"
> or "one-way" list means many receive but only 1 or a few can send,
> whether it's "moderated" or not.
>
> Maybe a little judicious rewording or reorganization could make the
> settings clearer, and some inclusion of the different terms might
> make the FAQ entry easier to find.

Definetly ACK!
Suggestion:

Open list: A list where everyone can post to directly.
Every posting will be distributed automatically. This what
you might call an ordinary discussion list.

Open list (members only): A list where only list member can
post to directly. Every posting will be distributed to the
list directly.

Moderated list: A list where everyone can post to but where
every posting needs to be confirmed by the list
moderator/admin before it will be distributed to the list.
So potentially not every posting will be distributed.

Moderated list (members only): A list where only list
member can post to and where every posting needs to be
confirmed by the list moderator/admin before it will be
distributed to the list.

Announcement list: A read only, one way list. Nobody except
the list admin can post to this list. [I'd go for
announcemnet instead of news, more general usage]

Send-only list: A list where everyone can post to but where
no posting will be distributed. So this is just for
collection.

Send-only list (members only): A list where only list
members can post to but where no posting will be
distributed. So this is just for collection.

Just a quick first though ;-)

Cheers, Marcel

--
   __