[Mailman-Users] Mailman information

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Feb 21 03:29:26 CET 2002

This is probably best discussed off-list, but...

Yes, Mailman can handle that kind of load.  I run it on a few servers that
are ancient and handle 8,000 to 20,000 messages/day with no problems, and
I've setup a few servers that do ~50,000 messages/day and scarcly notice the
load.

We have discussed (in this group) the maintainence and setup of large Mailman
lists quite thoroughly.  I'm an advocate of using decent hardware with a SCSI
disk subsystem for the hardware side, and then using an optimized MTA like
Postfix to push the mail around the internet.

Currently Mailman does its digests based on size (and date).  You set a
threshold value like 300kb and once the amount of accumulated messages reach
that value (or it's the end of the day), Mailman sends out the Archive
message.  The threshold value is set in the Web-Admin interface, and if you
want to send out an archive every 10 messages, then you would have to use the
average message size and multiply by 10.

You can tweak this - after all its open source... of course the more
tweaking, the longer the install, and the more cost to you.

The current non-beta version of Mailman (v2.0.8) supports static variables in
the Archive headers but does not add a different header to each Archive
message - However this is easily modified in the code.  What sort of header
message do you want added to each archive?

Jon Carnes